Supply chains are complex systems that keep the wheels of global commerce turning. Because of this complexity, supply chain management is often appreciated; but rarely understood. The supply chain represents the lifeblood of a company’s operations. Without the supply chain, goods and services don’t move, and nothing gets done.
This is where a supply chain consultant comes in. But what is a supply chain consultant? Why are they so vital to the success of a business? Nexterus can help you better understand supply chain management and help you determine if a career in supply chain consulting is right for you.
Supply chain consulting is an interdisciplinary field that involves the logistics of moving and storing goods. This includes the journey from raw materials through finished products and distribution to consumers. A supply chain consultant works closely with businesses to help them build, market, and implement effective strategies to make their client’s supply chain more efficient.
What this means is that the right consultant implements industry best-practices to ensure a business’s supply chain runs smoothly. This way, owners can focus on running other aspects of their company. As a supply chain expert, you become a trusted resource that business owners look to as a subject matter expert for all things supply chain management.
The world of supply chain management is a fast-paced, exciting and rewarding opportunity for people with the drive and ambition to make the most of it. Do you have the right skills for a successful supply chain consultant?
- Project Management
- The right supply chain management consultant knows how to take responsibility and see a project from start to finish.
- Technical Know-How
- You don’t need an advanced degree to be successful. Still, understanding information technology and how it works goes a long way.
- Effective Cost-to-Serve Understanding
- The efficiency of a supply chain directly correlates to the bottom line of a business. The right consultant is mindful of their client’s profitability and finds ways to improve it.
- Supply chain management is a complex subject where anything can and does happen. It’s important to think on your toes and be a solutions-driven leader for your clients.
- The ability to communicate is key when informing clients and customers of the status of their supply chain. It’s crucial that you can break down the most complex concepts for everyone from entry-level employees to C-suite executives.
- Desire to Learn
- Technology is always changing. The same is true for supply chain management. There is no one-size-fits-all approach for effective strategies. As a supply chain consultant, you should always be ready to adapt to the latest industry changes.
Nexterus is a supply chain technology company that has been helping small and medium-sized businesses find scalable supply chain solutions for more than 70 years. We are looking for driven and determined individuals seeking to make their mark on the supply chain management industry.
Get started on your next step to a successful supply chain consulting career today. Reach out for more details on starting your own logistics franchise with Nexterus.